Every now and then after sitting for a while my car will refuse to start unless I use a screwdriver to hold open the choke, what causes this?

15

Asked by Mar 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM about the 1981 Chrysler Cordoba

I have a 1981 Chrysler Cordoba with a 225 Slant Six engine in it and a Holley One
Barrel Carburetor. As described, the symptoms are that it will crank but not start
unless I take a screwdriver or a pencil and open the choke just a bit. This only
happens every now and then, however, not all the time. Sometimes the choke shuts
all the way and when the car starts it lifts it just a bit to allow air through and it runs
fine. Once started, either way, the car runs fine and the choke does open up fully when
warm.

294,085

Time to rebuild the carb.

45

Sometimes a good spraying with carb cleaner will help for awhile then a quick shot of WD40 on moving parts but ultimately will require rebuild in time as previous answer stated