1998 Ford Escort 2.0 engine problem

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 03:06 PM about the 1998 Ford Escort

I have a 1998 Ford Escort 2.0 engine it runs fine when its cold, but when it warms up it dies at idle. Above idle it runs great. How can I fix this?

...well there are a number of devices that can cause this. Could we start with the basics? Air Filter, PCV valve, ignition timing, vacuum...please have your trouble codes read so we aren't shootin' blind here, okay?

20,315

ill shoot at anything that moves,how about thepcm thinks the engine is cold and adjusts according to ,then when warm it still thinks its cold and adjusts nothing! your in open loop never closing wasting fuel running on presets begging for the signal to help out, replace the o2 sensor no doubt

97,105

That's a great theory Jimmy but open loop when warm is part of the limp mode. It won't cause the engine to stall. --- X2 on getting the codes read before replacing the wrong thing.

20,315

yes when every thing is new and shinny the limp has its settings ,but all this is for imissions and the first to act is the 02 to wake up and if they fail i dont think youd even have a limp mode,proper,and hence stalling hence hence, right or wrong?I dont know im just trying to figure the plan of the bird that programed this and his quirks and yes the code! with the 02 youll have many so where you at anyway,technology is accepted only because of no choice far from perfect.today announced all new subrues will start on their own remote start gos off is that nice to have ! or what

the wagon wheel need one of it's spires replaced, do you have wheel balancing for wagon wheels?

92,865

Check the throttle body, make sure it is clean and the throttle plate is adjusted properly, if it is dirty use the proper cleaner to clean it. If the problem is still there and there are no trouble codes try a relearn on the computer.

109,995

Idle air control valve could be sticking. Might need cleaning or replaced.

Talainu, you're lettin us down out here! earth to Talainu...whew whew!!

109,995

Jimmy did you take bobs pills away from him again

109,995

Lmao I enjoy reading your responses bob.

tried the Xandax...like no. Destroys the moo-joo! couldn't get the engine up to boil, let alone bring her into the station. With MS it has to be a constant supply of the good stuff...rudolph diesel, hindu kush...you wouldn't understand unless you're suffering from MS- I'll just be sad...a four hankie solution is better than supporting the pharmecutical industry!

109,995

At times have trouble following your train of thought on some answers but do find them informative when I do get on the right page. Hope you have a good evening.

20,315

ny diesel,sour diesel ,black diesel, rudolf diesel? alrighty then!

drivin' to Guru #8 thanks for pumpin'---just want the right answer...all the time, no guessing....right on Car hero, like Tom Deyman #1 or DavidH25 (my buddy, helpin the cripple 'cross the street) or even 7jimmy7 with his knowledge but inability to put it in a concise fashion....you guys are great!

also Llregal, tenspeed, RacerX, smoothpapa and dandyoun (haven't had too many events w/you yet...) thanks for the props!

yes Dandyoun nailed it with his diagnosis of an Intake air temperature sensor....hope you read through and came out with this, 'cause this is my first guess now~

135

nothing like the lack of information to get people worked up. not all problems show up on a o.b.d. start simple if you cant afford a mechanic,the problem could be a simple vac, leak or but not very likely your pcm. testing for sensor failure is the cheapest most effective way to find or help rule out what your problem is. a digital multimeter and a little know how can go a long way.

throttle possition censor..when its cold it work and run`s great but when it warm up will not stay running unless you have your foot on the gas replace TPS censor..