I need help starting this car

Asked by Apr 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM about the 1979 Plymouth Volare

I have a 79 Plymouth volare. It has not run in a little over 8 years. The original issue was due to neglect. A friend of mine just gave it to me because he had to move and could afford to  fix it or take it with him. I knew nothing about cars back then and tried to do a tune up on it and lost the firing order. I am much better with cars now, but I still can't get it running. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, ignition coil, thermostat, negative battery cable, carb choke, cleaned the carburetor, and replaced nearly every hose on the car. The engine will turn, and I am getting fire. The engine will sputter every once in a while like it is going to start, but it never does. I have about a month to get this car running. I need any help I can get. I still may have the firing order wrong. I really need to know a way to check and verify that I have it right. I still don't have much experience with distributor based firing orders. The car has a 225 slant six, with a carter bbd 2 barrel, and Super Six package. I can provide any other information that anyone needs to know.

125

I've only owned 4 slant-six Chrysler vehicles. But, here's my 2 cents. 225 slant-six firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. I would check that fuel is actually reaching the carb. Be sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Combination manifolds are notorious for 'warping', causing vacuum issues. Replacing hoses is an inexpensive way to be sure there is no leak because of an old deteriorated hoses. Cleaning the carb is nice, but a rebuild is better and a remanufactured carb is even better. Good Luck.

carbs are controlled leaks. get a new/remanuactured one.