horn location in 85' subaru GL sedan

Asked by Apr 26, 2007 at 04:42 PM about the 1985 Subaru GL

i need to put new horn in my 85 subaru sedan GL 4dr manual transmission and i have no idea where it is located could you plz help

29,635

Chilton manual will tell you. I want to say it's located to the left of the radiator but I'm not 100% sure.

20,770

Hi savagekitten! I couldn't find that specific information on the web. If you haven't purchased your replacement horn yet you can ask the parts counter guy at the Subaru dealer. The guys at teh counters seem to know everything about this kind of thing. If they don't know they can look it up for you. You can always visit the parts counter and ask so that you can remove it and get the horn tested before spending to replace it. Good luck.

55

One place I would check is in front of the radiator behind the grill, thats where it looks like the horn on one of my 85 BRATs seems to be located - the other one having a custom horn setup that moved the horn location. BRATs and sedans were usually pretty much identical from the windshield forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours was there too.

I know this post is several years old, but I recently needed to answer this question. While researching it, I found this post. No one answered the question. After some investigation I found the horn. It is not located in the engine compartment. The only way you can see the horn from under the hood is standing beside the battery and looking diagonally down towards the front of the vehicle in a crack in between the fender and the body and behind the drivers side headlight. Or the easiest way to see the horn is to crawl underneath the front end and look up through. Not in the area where the radiator is, but beside it near the fender and its location is underneath the headlight assembly. I have not changed the horn yet, but it appears that removing the headlight and working through the hole would be the only way to get to the horn besides removing the front bumper and all and that wouldn't be worth the trouble. It appears that the horn is held in place by one or possibly two small bolts and it has wires that clip into the wiring system. Just unclip and remove a couple bolts but its just a pain to get to. The Chilton manual I have for the car made no mention of the horn at all. Not sure about The Haynes manuals.