Buying a 1992 Dodge Caravan

Asked by Jan 29, 2008 at 06:03 PM about the 1992 Dodge Caravan

Hello! My collegue is somewhat of a "mechanic;" he buys cheap cars, repairs and sells them. He is currently offering me to purchase a 1992 Dodge Caravan at 132,000 miles.
I do need a second car, but I also need something reliable and not a gas guzzler.
He is selling over $2000. Is this a reasonable buy? Any good or bad reviews on it?
Would love to hear from you! Thanks.

6,885

http://www.carsurvey.org/ check it out.

42,925

The late 1980s and early 1990s Caravans were plagued by bad transmissions. No telling when they would go, just at some point, usually around the mileage you are describing, weird things would happen -- they would stop shifting, wouldn't go into reverse, would ONLY go in reverse, etc. Some of this was linked to a problem with the retaining ring used to hold the clutch packs together coming loose inside the transmission. I would avoid this vehicle. Without saying what engine is in it, it's hard to know whether it will be good on gas or not. I just know when I was junking, I picked up A LOT of these vans, mostly with 150k miles or less on them.