PROBLEM STARTING

80

Asked by Sep 01, 2008 at 06:25 PM about the 1993 Dodge Dakota

i have 93 dakota with a mysterious problem.my mechanic can not seen to find the problem.THE truck will run for a while any were from 5min to an hour the all of a sudden it will quit,you leave it for about ten min then it will start again and run for a while.then some time it will run for about 5min an then quit amd you will have to wait for about an hour and the it will start sometimes.iv done tuneups on it,replace o2 sensor,egr valve,my mechanic has been taking my money and does not been able to fix it.the problem seems to be happening when the truck is warm to running hot.  any thoughts,   please help

80

for got to add that its v6 3.9ltr

43,545

Sounds like either a coil or a fuel pump/fuel pump relay issue. Could also be the ignition module itself, which you have to test hot. Try those things.

95

it sounds like you have something thats getting to hot after running then shutting down. thats why after it cools down it will start and run again. Im not sure were the pcm placement is on those but maybe its to close to the motor and overheating or maybe the coil is overheating. i would check and see if there is something major, electronicaly, that is overheating after running. if you feel something that feels excessivly hot then i would start there. the tune ups arent gonna help i can tell you that.

10,235

You may have a case of "vapor lock."

85

Before you throw any more $$$ at it, once it stalls out again, turn the ignition to the acc position and listen for the fuel pump buzz. sounds like you have a dying fuel pump under heat. If you usually run your gas tank low, the fuel pump build up heat (fuel acts as a coolant) and will cause it to burn out a lot faster. If the pump is not audible, replace the furl pump relay which usually runs about $15.00. All of the parts that you listed above will not cause the truck to shut off while running. This is what I would check first. 1. Fuel Pump Relay. 2. Fuel Pump (almost certain this is the issue) 3. PCM module on the spark box (ignition module) It's one or the other, spark or fuel. Good luck!

40

Thats true happens all the time in hot weather

40

Another thing you could check is the o2 sensors, It will send a fault signal to the computer and thus cut off the engine.

315

it is the igintion module my uncle chris has had the same problem with his 91 and my dad had the same problem with his 93 and they replace those and it fixed the problem

180

i had a 93 with the same problem .i changed the crank position sensor and that was what was wrong .when it got up to temp the truck shut off .then after the repair i fixed it and drove the truck 3 years and no more problems .

180

the crank position sensor controls your timing.it is located on your bell housing by the firewall.

60

I keep having the same problem with my 93 dodge dakota LE 5.2 V8 stalling and dying, The o2 sensor has been replaced the idle adjustment valve. two fuel injecters and a new fuel pump. It runs for a few miles then stalls and dies. I can keep it going if I rev it up past a 1000 rpm. Is it the computer dying? Maybe it runs through its cycle then the computer hits its glitch then croaks with errors then stalls.

25

try and check the fuel pump, pressure, fuel injector. than sparks, the last the sensors like the crank, cam and the idle, throttle etc. try those. it will be one of them. good luck

20

I changed every sensor,relay,coil,plugs&wires,ECM,finally tearing into the wiring harness in the engine bay and repairing some corroded wire joints. If I remember right they were blue wires especially on the drivers side. These wires send power to the relays.also had to replace crank sensor for the second time I went with a factory one this time no problems since. (Crank sensor controls injector pulse) ( cam sensor controls fire) in that order

well i have the same problem but my truck loses power to coil and fuel pump and also to my check engine light .most of the answer on here are basic problems.they are not the answer for this problem if anyone has the right answer ple4ase help

10

My mechanic says he found the problem. He said the wiring harness has an open in it that supplies power to the PCM. He jumpered it. This after replacing both the crank sensor and the pickup coil. Happy Hunting! Un- Unnnn!

10

check th engin TEMP sensor to the computer, NOT to the gauge, its running to RITCH like the choke is half on., but of curse there IS no choke just the sensore for engin temp

10

Same problem... Switc feels different. Key dissent come back from start position except when I turn it back.. Also no fire when I do turn it but I can short out the starter and it fires rite up.. Anybody that can help please do.. I'm thinking I should just change the cylinder.. Not the whole thing. Help

30

Truck won't start replaced cap plugs wires rotor crank sensor and still nothing

I have a 93 Dodge Dakota has the v8 318 in it. My maint reqr light is on. When I'm driving it will drive good then all of sudden the trucks completely dies and I obviously stop to start it again. When that happens the light is gone and the truck will not start unless that light is on it will just keep on cranking over and then the light comes on I try to start it and it starts up like nothing was even wrong! What my problem I thinks it's related to an emission thing but I don't see how that could cause it to do that please let me know something

had the same problem with my 93 and after much testing and wire running i found that the map sensor did not test with in limits i was taught so i replaced the map sensor and problem solved now it is again a dependable unit again hope this helps

my truck was doing the same thing it drove me crazy for months until one day when it died there was a check engine code when i checked it i found the code for a bad map sensor so i said why not i changed it and the problem stopped runs fine now also back to my 30+gas miliage agin im loving it