fuel pump wont turn on

90

Asked by Oct 02, 2014 at 09:12 PM about the 2000 Ford Escort

I have a 2000 ford zx2 I thought the fuel pump went out so I replaced it and the new pump
wont cycle on I checked all the fuses are all good I've chased the power back to the  fuel
pump assembly connecter it has power but the pump wont turn on what do I do?

58,535

If you have power at it,then it will be the new pump is bad,it happen,s a lot,take it and go get you another one.You tracked it to the source,i get a lot of them bad like that from the get go.

90

I checked the pump by hooking some wires to it and to the battery, it turns on and pumps, but Not in the car

31,295

Do yourself a favor and do what T_S_T has advised.

90

Its a new pump guys the pump works when I jumped it of the battery, wild a relay do it or what

58,535

If it is good and doe,s run out of car,then check the fuel relay,and your wire,s at the connecetor,and make sure it has ground wire hooked up and is good.

58,535

I have gotten a lot of new bad pump,s,,auto zone and advance and even napa,,,so dont rule it out just yet,,,when you drop it in gas it change,s everything.

58,535

Air pump,s work good,,,,but when you add the liquid it go,s puuufff.

31,295

Then if the pump is good that makes it a electrical problem. And you may have not needed the new pump. BTW. The fuel pump is on a relay, NOT a fuse. Check your wire's and relays.

31,295

It's sounding more and more like the fuel pump. Can you hook it up to the fuel pump harness abd see if it turns on? That will clear up if you have a connection problem.

40

LMBO you guys are just a one track mind. I had and am HAVING the same problem. ok so fuel pump is with out a doupt good. 4 pumps latter, every mechanic at the shop swears up and down that it can't be electrical because they checked that. I come to find out they didn't check if it was GROUNDED. I have to takes on this that i am investigating. ONE the ECM or the computer for the car most likely located under your "console" (easily removed with just three bolts and slide out) Well the ECM isn't telling the fuel pump how much ground it needs. this seemed strange at first to me as well. however as it was explained to me, the fuel pump changes and adjust fuel pressure as needed based on the "biorhythms"m of the car. this means it will need more power for more pressure or less power for less pressure. the ground i guess needs to match this increase and decrease. Thus the computer isn't completing the circuit. TWO the ground just got disconnected. the tow truck driver who ALSO has a bunch of 2000 ford escorts (because they are best for his derby competitions) says the ground on the tank can become loose and fall of, which he has found commonly for this escort. he says he has gutted most of the electrical for his escorts and took it back to 1991 escort standards. but in this case just check the grounds and it could be simple. Good ways to verify which it is. One can you get codes from your ECM. if no then the ECM isn't communicating. there for likely the problem. Secondly How rusted and corroded is the fuel tank. you can easily judge this by looking through the hole under the bench seat in the back. this is the easy access for the fuel pump. if your tank has heavy corrosion then it is likely the ground is having trouble. i would start there and work your way up. So any one know where the ground is?

30

It's likely that 25 or so pin resistor that operates just about everything under the hood.

10

I'm having pretty much the same problem right now with my 97 escort. Pump good. Fuses ALL good but no power to the pump. IT IS NOT THE GROUND AT THE PUMP .

10

Help me out guys

30

Did you find the square black box beside the rad that has a long plug harness on. It has 25 or 27 connecting pins in it that operates the fan, I think it operates the fuel pump plus just about everything. Ford used this thing for years in most of their vehicles. It ruined 2 good engines by malfunctioning the cooling fan system. Just unscrew the set screw that keeps it locked in ,wiggle the plug and listen for the fuel pump.These things are junk.