Car wont start after a fuel related problem

10

Asked by Dec 04, 2012 at 10:18 AM about the 1997 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Sedan

I have a 1997 Ford Escort 4 dr. I have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter as well as the fuel pump relay switch. The car still wont start. Can someone please help ?

12,035

Try spraying starting fluid into intake while cranking over engine. If you get ignition you do have fuel delivery issue. Could be one or more of many issues then. Check fuse, relay, recheck your work. Also have seen a few new pumps that were bad right out of the box.This sux, but does happen.

10

Thank you, I have rchecked the fuse I have replaced the relay and the pump seems to be working fine. Any other ideas ?

12,035

Did you try the starting fluid idea?

10

No I will try that after I get some are there any other things I also can check or do besideas that ? Thank you !

12,035

That test will narrow down the issue to ignition system or fuel system. That will steer you in the right direction from there. You can try this test, but its not 100%. Have someone listen for fuel pump noise when you first turn on key. You should hear a humm noise for a couple seconds after ignition switch is turned on.

10

Ok ! Thank you !!!

10

the pump is working it is makeing noise will gas work and i have only 2 gallons of gas in it do i need more 2 prime it some 1 told me i need at least 5 gallons what do you think

295

two gallons of gas is plenty to start that vehicle

12,035

I would have more than two gallons in it before I try it. Five is reasonable. If the pump runs dry it can ruin fuel pump. ....