how do i go about setting the timing on a 1995 dodge neon that has skipped timing

Asked by Jun 20, 2008 at 08:41 PM about the 1995 Dodge Neon

car starts but only two cylinders are firing properly and the timing marks are off how do i fix this problem

what u can do is go to autozone and they will check the firing order of the pistons,you might need to replace the timing belt.For any given engine rpm, there is an optimum timing setting that provides maximum power. Most people set ignition timing by advancing the distributor until the engine pings under load, then backing off a few degrees. The only way that such a method will provide optimum timing is with a perfect timing curve.

if your timing marks are off more than 1 tooth, i bet you bent the valves by hitting the pistons, the 2.0 engines are not very forgiving in this area..

If your Neon has jumped timing, most likely your timing belt has stretched and needs to be replaced. When you replace it you will have to line up the timing marks, which I think are on the cam and crankshaft gears before you place the belt on the engine. If that doesn't work take it to your favorite mechanic and have them check things out. Also, I had a 1995 Neon, and I had to replace the head gasket when it hit 60,000 miles. These Neons are notorious for blowing head gaskets, it could be that even though you don't see any leaks. If that's what it is, it requires a major tear down of the top half of the engine, not a task for the unskilled or faint hearted.

i question the statement of timing marks being off... how do you know that they are off? Did you manually turn the crank to TDC on cylinder 1? Keep in mind that the crank turns twice for one rotation of the cam, and it all has to be sitting right to check the timing. Check that before you assume that it is the timing. Grab a Haynes manual from Advance, and see what the spec is if you are going to do the timing belt.

the cam timing marks are hard to see without pulling the engine try removing the passenger side motor mount and timing cover then to prevent further hassle when checking timing hit the marks with a very well contrasting nail polish (near Identical to auto paint) this will make it easier to tell in the future if the belt stretches.

also this is a DIS ignition (DISTRIBUTOR NOT PRESENT) it runs off the cam and crank sensors I have seen the sohc engine spin the cam gear and not the camshaft Gear alignment pin shears off at the cam if this is the case you can easily remove the cam by removing the cam gear, rocker shafts, and the cam position sensor then Instead of buying a $500.00+ cam carefully drill out the old alignment pin and replace with a new one(i've made one from an old drill bit that I cut to length and pressed into the cam alignment hole) this has worked and held up nicely even after my brother bottomed the car out on the oil pan and starved the engine of oil(took out the main bearings, rod bearings, and cracked a connecting rod). but the car now is in the process of a performance rebuild (0.136" longer connecting rods bored 0.010" over(repairing engine damage).

what cylinders are actually firing Try doing a cylinder spark test if cylinders sets 1/4, or 2/3 are not firing then it is not the cam at all but probably the ignition coil or coil driver

If you change the timing belt, change the idler pulley while you're at it. I didn't on a 1996 neon 2.0 and 14,000k later the pulley let go. $1400 later all was good to go again.

Sorry off the topic but how can I retard the timing in my 98 neon dohc ,I was told to do this because of my performance upgrades