1995 dodge neon timing

Asked by Nov 10, 2012 at 01:39 PM about the 1995 Dodge Neon

the 95 dodge neon broke the timing belt i replaced it and timing marks are good. On starting engine idles very rough and have to keep foot on gas to keep it running. Its a 2.0l 16 vavle engine. i was told there not interference engines. If it is an interference engine and valves are bent is it worth reparing?
p.s. the gas has been in the tank for 2 years now

1,705

The Neon 2.0L IS an interference engine. It sounds like you could have bent valves, you'll need to perform a compression test or a cylinder leak-down test to determine if you have compression loss.

oK how hard is it to change the head out

1,705

Changing the head isn't difficult, but if you're planning on swapping it out, be sure to check the tops of the pistons for any damage. If they're damaged, you may as well replace the engine. What's the mileage on the car?

the milage is 106884

1,705

You'd probably come out further ahead by putting in a used engine, rather than replacing internals or just the cylinder head. Just be sure to install a new timing belt and water pump on the replacement engine before it's installed. I'm not sure of your level of experience when it comes to this. I have a bit of an advantage as far as availability to equipment, as I am the service manager at the garage I work at. For me it would be nothing to bring in a good used engine and have it installed in a weekend. As a driveway job, it will most definitely be more challenging.

1,575

to address the fuel issue, just stick some fuel stabilizer in the tank and it will be fine.

whyd you want to know the mileage on the car?

1,705

I was just curious. I know at our shop, we recommend replacing the timing belt every 60,000 miles, I was just trying to get as much information on the car as possible. Although we have seen timing belts survive much longer than 60,000 miles, we don't recommend pushing it much beyond that. It was probably a combination of time and mileage that caused the belt to break.

Sorry for interrupting. But I have a 95 dodge neon 2.0 SOHC. Amy ways I was going approximately 10 mph and my car turned off. I've changed the fuel pump and filter. And the car starts but I can't go over 20mph. And if you try to accelerate it starts to make a popping sound I was told that it could be either the timing chain or that the car wasn't receiving enough gas. Is it possible for the timing chain to cause these symptoms?

1,705

The 2.0L doesn't have a chain, it has a belt. The symptoms you describe may be caused by a timing concern.

1,575

juan does it have a check engine light on?

Can you put a 2000 dodge neon motor in a 95 dodge neon?

30

Recheck The timing again did you turn the motor over by hand after you did the timing? The timing can shift as your putting on the tensioner on the bottom. If the valves are Bent you can by a new after market one for 250.00 easy to change.