I have a 1995 dodge dakota which was built in late 1994 and will not start

nancytim94
10

Asked by Sep 16, 2010 at 09:27 PM about the 1995 Dodge Dakota

We replaced the coil and then the distributor cap, replacing the dist. cap made it run but it quit again after a day. I have been told there is an inline fuse, where is it located and could this be the problem

Justin Doucette
2,775

If it won't start/run your missing either spark, fuel or compression. Start by finding out which one

nancytim94
10

After replacing the distributor and dist. cap, we had the timing set which did the trick, thanks for the information though.

Johnny McDevitt
505

wish i would have seen this sooner, without a doubt you bought a whole new distributor to replace a $13 magnetic pickup that is the only electronic piece of the distributor. they can come and go and make you think it's the actual coil, or an ignition box, or fuel..they'll run you all over the place...but again that was for sure what you needed to replace.

nancytim94
10

The coil was the first thing we replaced. Wish I had known sooner, the parts can get expensive when you are just narrowing things down. Thanks though

Johnny McDevitt
505

there is whats refered to as a coil (where the distributor gets it spark from) ususally a canister style where you have a coil wire running to the top of the distributor, and the a magnetic pickup (or pickup coil) inside the distributor...that draws a spark from the coil as the star gear spins around....anyways now that it doens't matter...i'm sure it was your magnetic pickup (inside the dist). had one go in a race car and replaced everything else but that...changed that and it fired right up.

Adam9128
10

I have a 95 dakota sport did same thing there are grounds on the driver side by the fire where the cam pick is find the ground cut them put com,the back the way they where and the truck will run fine took me two week to figer it out