are there any heater cores available for a 74 vega

Asked by Apr 12, 2014 at 07:15 PM about the 1974 Chevrolet Vega

can I turn the heater core around to work with a v8? allso looking for a stock am/fm radio

They do appear on eBay occasionally. I'd suggest creating a search for them there and have a daily e-mail sent to you. Make sure you use quotes on the search so you only get that return or you'll get massive mails on non related things. Many sellers use many search terms to get most views and whey you're trying for something specific like a heater core you'll get a lot of mail you will delete. Try a web search too. You might be surprised at where you might find one, possibly even a new one. But a new one will not be cheap. FYI - the Cosworth core has a 90 degree bend on the bottom for clearance and is rare. You won't need that for your V8, I don't think. Tom

Best Answer
Kenton Groombridge

You have to be careful as the heater core for the A/C and non-A/C Vega is different.

Possibly the A/C Vega is the same as the Cosworth with the 90 degree bend to clear. But, it's always to be sure you have the correct outlets for your heater core for clearance. Not sure if the factory A/C & non A/C make a difference in a V8 application. Hopefully someone with knowledge on these clearances will post here.

thanks for the info, they are all the same w/o ac accept cosworth

Regarding the stock AM/FM radio part of your question (sorry was focused on the heater core part). I would also suggest eBay, as I've seen some listed there. And again, I'd create a search being very specific (using the quotes around your search item) so you don't get others than your model. Many other GM factory originals may fit, but not sure if they'd have the bracket(s) to "bolt right in" - making it easier. And also making implementing it into your wiring easier. On that note, get one with the plug-ins for the wiring into the back of the unit. I do believe the case of the radios still had a mini schematic of the wiring and what their color/locations are. Also, there's a rear speaker kit for the rear (right rear) speaker from GM; I've seen them on eBay as well. Some may get into higher prices. But as long as you keep the speaker compatible for that vintage unit you shouldn't have a problem no mater where you install it (front/rear). The kit had a factory style grille, which you may be able to locate other places. Nice thing about the kit is the wiring "loom" is included. Not that you can't make do with your own hook up(s). On another note, there was also an AM/FM Stereo GM unit (not a factory option for the '76 I believe) but probably could be easily installed. Making it a more pleasurable audio listening experience. The GM radio/audio options were many for that era, even had some CB units, but also had a cassette version. Granted not the music media of today. But they have factory sized units (from My Classic Car - - one of their advertisers - has a lot of options & products) to choose from. Check it out. - - I think I've blabbered a while (possible too much )

thanks for the radio info this helps a lot