WAS THE 1973 VEGA REAR DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY WHEN INSTALLED NEW ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE IN RAW METAL FORM OR WERE THE TUBES AND BACKING PLATES PAINTED BEFORE INSTALLATION ON THE ASSMBLY LINE

10

Asked by Dec 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM about the 1973 Chevrolet Vega

i AM DETAILING AN ORIGINAL LOW MILE RUST FREE 73 VEGA HATCHBACK AND WANT IT TO BE CORRECT AS THE DAY IT LEFT THE PLANT. ANY DIRECTION TO A CONTACT OR SITE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !

255

To the best of my knowledge no differential was painted off any assembly line. I'll pose the question to a group I'm part of where one member was on the assembly line. I'll post back. Tom

10

Hi Tom, Thanks for the reply back it is very helpful.I would be intrested in more information about your group. I am also looking for an N.O.S. 71-73 gas tank, oil pan and T.H. automatic trans pan (73). Thanks again for your reply. Have a Great Holiday ! Neil

255

Vega gas tanks are difficult to find. Since many sit for long periods of time, there are a lot which cannot be repaired. You might check the online salvage checkers, they have a nationwide ability to check. They are realizing the value of these parts now, so some are asking pretty good bucks. Also, contact DavesVegaVillage.com (use the phone number there to call and leave a message - he'll call back), he may be of help. Oil pans should be something much easier since almost all years of the 4-cylinder interchange. And I believe the auto trans (I think it is a Turbo 250 - unless it is a PowerGlide) pans should interchange with the Turbo 350 - not positive on that. I'm the owner of a few Cosworth Vegas, so I am part of the CVOA (Cosworth Vega Owner's Association) and its group on Yahoo. Also a member of the H- body Yahoo group...a good source for info/questions/etc. The Cosworth, if you didn't know, was only built in '75 & '76 and had a twin cam, 4 valve per cylinder version of the stock 140 cu. in. stroked to 122 cu. in.

255

Back to your original question about the differential paint... Even though I don't believe the factory painted them, most restorer's would. I can't imagine going through all that work just to have a differential that's going to be rusty. ;)