tranny issues??

45

Asked by Feb 17, 2010 at 09:23 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet C/K 10

got sick of my project and was trying to sell it. now the tranny went and im gonna keep it i think.  im thinking about keeping it an automatic, but beefing up the artillery a little bit and also possibly a slap shifter...? any thoughts ideas pros cons?

32,805

many questions what all has been done to the truck? is the motor stock? if not and you put a powerful motor behind the stock trany did u put an aftermarket stall converter on it. it may be a swollen converter. whats it doin? which trans auto 350, 400, or 700r4

45

dont kno what its got for a tranny, or if the stall converter is stock or a/m. goes into first fine, grabs second no problem, slips right bye 3rd, the motor is a built 350. i bought the truck with the motor and trans in it, i did a frame off on it, and now i just got it back on the road about a month ago and here i am. what are the differences between the different trans? which one is best for torqe and hps?

5

Well i'm betting since it's an 86 half ton it's got the 700r4 tranny and 208 transfer casse. If you're going ot four wheel with this, pull a trailer, or even haul a heavy load, get rid of that piece of junk. Why chevrolet ever put that transmission in a truck i beyond me. You are going to lose overdrive, but if you a little better than stock motor anyway your gas mileage already sucks so a tranny without overdrive won't matter. My suggestion is either find a th350 setup wth a 20 t case. You will still have to change front and rear driveshafts but your crossmember and tcase shifter will be the same. If you want to go all out and get something practically indestructable you need a TH 400 backed by a NP205 t case. It takes a different crossmember and t case shifter, but if you find the combination that erson will more than likely have that stuff too. Your front driveshaft will be the same, but rear will not as a np205 tc ase uses a driveshaft with a slip joint not a slip yolk. Hope this helps.

45

oh the truck is 2 wheel drive, but i have heard the same things you are saying from many people about the trannys. i think ill go with either the 350 or 400... any info on slap shifters?

105

the 700 r 4 is basically the old version of the 4L60. which can handle a 383 stroker. 4L80 is probable the best one for you.