1972 Chevy C10 with a 350 hei conversion harnesses alternator not charging and when key off engine still runs

80

Asked by Nov 10, 2016 at 06:33 PM about the 1973 Chevrolet C/K 10

1972 Chevy C10 with a 350 hei conversion harnesses alternator not charging and when key off engine still runs.

56,855

Sounds like the coil wire from the ignition switch is not hooked up correctly. Double check that. HTH. -Jim

80

Ok this is under the hood of the truck I'm working on this is how it came in

80

More pics

80

This wire was hooked up to the generator. It's the power wire from the distributor I ran it threw the firewall.

80

More

56,855

Standard GM from that era has the power going from the starter, to the ignition switch, then from there a resistor wire to the distributor. The resistor wire is there to drop down the voltage from 12 VDC to 6 to 8 VDC. The "BAT" terminal on the back of the alternator is supposed to be connected to the positive (+) battery cable on most GMs of that era. Do you have an external voltage regulator? HTH. -Jim

80

Yes that got replaced

56,855

Sounds like the wiring to the distributor is hot all the time. You'll have to rewire the system correctly. When you shut off the ignition, you're actually cutting off power to the ignition coil which shuts off the engine. If the wire going to the ignition coil is hot all the time, the engine will keep running. HTH. -Jim

80

Do you think I'm better off rebuilding the harness. As I was looking at the whole truck today most of the harness inside and out is cut spliced and what not.. I think he is also missing some ground wires.

56,855

If it's that bad, yes. You can get wiring diagrams from the factory shop manual. Try eBay or Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, California. They have a website. There's also companies that make reproduction wiring harnesses out there. A Google search should help you find one. On a truck of this vintage it shouldn't be too hard to do the wiring. Did you find out where the wire from the alternator goes? The fuse box? HTH. -Jim

80

Nothing was hooked up to fuse box is what I found out... hence I already got the manual for the truck... hopefully I get most of the wiring done Monday I'll let u know how it gose thanks for the help

56,855

Ok, sounds good. Having the manual is a must. The wiring should be pretty straight forward. Yes, please keep us posted. -Jim