Is heater core part of coolant bypass in Chevy 350.

Asked by Jan 29, 2015 at 05:55 PM about the Chevrolet C/K 10

I have a new (to me) 1965 Chevy C10 pickup that seems to be cobbled together. The
heater core just sprung a leak, and in disassembly I discovered that the heat control lever
Bowden cable doesn't connect to anything, there is no diverter flap or heater control
valve. It would be easiest for me to add a heater control valve that just limits or shuts off
the coolant going through the heater core.

I'm unsure if this is safe for the engine - it occurred to me that the heater core (not having
a valve) might be an essential part of the coolant bypass.

The engine isn't what I expected, the stamped letters on the front passenger side of the
block are "CKL" which I think means it is a 1973 350 from Impala, L-65. But I think is is
coupled to a 2-speed Powerglide. Sheesh.

Anyway, considering this engine, is it safe to interrupt the hoses going to the heater core?

Bob Beaman

You could just hook the 2 heater hoses together. It will require and adapter and a couple of clamps or you can loop the hose together at the engine thus requiring just 2 hose clamps. Won't hurt a thing, but you won't have any heat.

Thanks, Bob. I do have a new heater core, though, and what I'm hoping to do is to be able to control the heat. I just don't know if it's safe for the engine to do it by adding a shutoff valve.

Bob Beaman

Pretty sure they used heater water control valves many moons ago in the SB Chevy. Now you got me curious so I will do some investigating.

Thanks Bob!

These are the two hoses that go to the heater core. Pointing with finger and thumb.

Bob Beaman

I think the really old small blocks had a short bypass hose from the water pump to the intake manifold and they used a heater water control valve. According to a Hot Rod Mag. article I skimmed the newer small blocks are internally bypassed.

Bob Beaman
30,365 neccesary/ article is mainly about big blocks, but the small block is mentioned early in the article.

Bob, I see where they mention it, does make it sound like the bypass is internal, so I should be able to put the valve inline with the heater hoses. Should I feel confident regarding this?

Bob Beaman

I would feel confident, but it is not my money or truck. If it were me I would try it thinking it is 95% going to work just fine. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge when you first drive it. I'm in for 95%, but I am just a guy on the internet from Kansas that knows a little about cars. Let me know how it goes.

Best Answer

Bob, I put it all together and just did a test drive with the heater valve "off" and the engine, based on the temp gauge, seemed to warm up as normal, no spiking. Seems like it's fine! Thanks again.

Bob Beaman

Glad it worked out for you!