Why is my Stratus still overheating???

20

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 09:08 PM about the 2005 Dodge Stratus

Overheating after doing everything recommended by mechanics. Three mechanics have worked on it. I am told it is not a head gasket or the thermostat. They changed the timing belt, radiator cap (3 times), did an engine flush, changed the water pump, changed the coolant. Overheating happens only on long trips of 200 miles or more and especially going uphill (incline). I am exasperated and do not want to go to another mechanic because they are not finding the problem.

39,925

Go to your local auto parts store. They make air bleed kits for your cooling system. It sounds like you have air trapped in the system.

20

I'm a female who knows nothing about cars. Is this something that is simple to do?

39,925

I personally have never used one of the kits. Should be quite easy to do. One of the auto guys could probably show you in a couple of minutes.

96,995

You either have an air pocket or the radiators flow is restricted, did they do a flow test on the radiator when it was in the shop?

10

Don't forget the specific Antifreeze/coolant. Must be specified for Chrysler! It could be MS 7170. And the outet whater. But the kind of thermostat too! Don't mix the old antifreeze With the specific new one. And never over full. There is a level mark. Water need space to circulate. And you will need to purge when fulling again with the new water. Good Luck. Next time don't buy those car. Go for Toyota, Honda, Mazda. Then you could got for Hyundai (now are beautiful and nice), Nissan and Volkswagen. They're more cheaper and last long! Good luck

60

I have a dodge strarus 2005 is over heating I did the radiator cap I did the antifreeze changed the water outlet & the thermostat I did as head gasket sealer the sensor what else could it be because I know it has air trapped

39,925

TIno214tx, is you think it has air trapped in the system, just go to the auto parts store and pick up an air bleed kit. Make sure that your cooling fans are turning on also.

60

Does anybody know a Real good mechanic that can tell me the problem I'm so sick n tired of this car HELP!!!!!!!

96,995

Did you say you put in a head gasket sealer? If you did, that's a BIG no no, it plugs up smaller cooling system passages and actually makes a problem worse cause you have to unplug or replace everything it has plugged up. Did you have the radiator flow tested yet?