I have a 1965 Jeep CJ5 with the stock 4 cylinder engine.I want to set the timing. I am able to loosen the bolt that secures the distributor in place but am not able to rotate the distributor to set the timing. What is the trick I am missing to rotate the distributor?Thanks, Harley hmadden0319@gmail.com

Asked by Jul 07, 2015 at 01:22 PM about the 1965 Jeep CJ5

Sounds like distributor is stuck in motor. Try to spray wd40 around the shaft of distributor.

It's probably just stuck. Try GENTLY tapping on the distributor shaft to get it to break free. If that doesn't work, try discharging a CO2 fire extinguisher (no joke) on it. The rapid temp change will sometimes free a stuck distributor as well because the distributor is usually made of aluminium while the engine is cast iron. Each contracts at a very different rate when cooled. Thereby breaking it free. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful