Why do I seem to keep replacing my engine or having engine problems. This is the second engine I have had to replace within 2 years of ownership

35

Asked by Apr 13, 2013 at 04:02 AM about the 1979 Jeep CJ5

I have the inline 6 258 with an electric
fuel pump pushing 7-9 psi to my
holly 2 barrel carburetor. I keep the
maintenance on this vehicle top
knotched but now I just thought I had
an exhaust leak took it in and was
told I am only running 5 of the 6
cylinders. I ordered some expensive
Seal Steel online and I'm hoping it
fixes my issue. Any suggestions are
greatly appreciated thank you

Only 'running on 5 of the 6 cylinders' could be caused be many many things. Have you done a compression test? That Seal Steel is a hundred bucks, as you already know since you bought it. I am wondering what you think that will do? It is advertised to "repair a blown head gasket"..now I am not going to put down or dismiss this product as I have never used it. But why? Do you have oil in coolant, any excessive smoke from exhaust? Anything at all to lead you to believe you do have a head gasket problem? I repeat I am not saying Seal Steel is bad, but I am very suspicious of any product that claims to fix a head gasket by pouring it in your engine. Justice, I wish you the best of luck and hope you didn't waste $100, but if you come please let us know what happened, and do that compression test.

the cap may be cracked, take it off and look for high-voltage traces~

101,365

See if you can get your money back. Pouring anything into your engine except for oil is not recommended. You can not expect anything in a can to replace, rebuild or repair. --- "I'm hoping it fixes my issue." - find out what is causing the issue before attempting to fix it. What did the mechanic suggest when you took it in?

Please I hope you have not poured it in....does the label say 'guaranteed" Do whet tenspeed said and get your money back....remember..compression test..

25

If 1 of the cyldinders is not running, you can do some very cheap stuff to see if its not something simple. I wouldn't use that Seal Steel in my Jeep. Try checking the gap in the distributor points. This cause my number 3 and 5 cylinders to misfire before because it was just a little off. Then of course you can check your compression, check for spark from the distributor and the plug. There are many things that should be checked and can be done relatively fast and for little $. Remember the rule of maintenance, start with the easy, small, and cheap things first. Often times these are the problem anyway.