Should I buy one?

45

Asked by Sep 06, 2008 at 06:59 PM about the 1980 Porsche 928

My friends Dad has one and it is in bad condition. The inside is ripped and moldy, the outside is scratched and dented (Not very badly). The engine does not start because nearly every part of the engine is broken. The outside is white, and the inside is black.

8,165

Is it free? Are you wanting to build a track car with it? If you answered no to both of these questions then my opinion is no... It has no motor and Porsche parts are expensive, and their motors are picky so a half ass rebuild shop won't do a reliable job, so it's not affordable to use it as a daily driver... If it's purpose is a track car then you've basically got a rolling chassis and a block to build up...with a guttable interior... If the price is right it could be a good starting point... If it were running the low end cost(which from how you described it, is what it's worth) would be $7,375 [Dec. 07 Exce11ence] Figure 5-6 grand for a good motor and I wouldn't pay more than 1,500-2,000 for it and that's if brakes and everything else is serviceable, but that's just me... I'm not a 928 guy so I don't have specific information... I'm sure rennlist has a forum for the 928 guys out there, you may want to ask them their opinion...

1,635

No. It will be a money pit. You will spend more money and a lot more time on this basket case than buying a good one in the first place. Save up and get a later S4 model, they are much better.

35

You SHOULD buy one, just not this one. You can find a nice 928s, s4, gt, or even gts for less than $15,000. Unless this is free, or very cheap and you want a difficult project car, don't get it. However, don't listen to the myths about these cars being nightmares, they're really not bad. They're just old, so when you are fixing the car up, you begin to find problems as you go along. Interior work in these cars takes a long time, exterior is pretty easy. If you want to revamp the carpet, google search the 928 leather shop, that's where I got my new carpet. The pieces aren't labeled, so keep your old carpet if you get it. However, parts ARE pretty easy to find, you just have to go online. 928 international is the best supplier of parts I could find, they were reliable and relatively cheap. 928 motorsports were pretty good too. A complete engine rebuild will be extremely time consuming. A new engine will cost many times more than what I assume you'd buy the car for. So pretty much, unless you want a serious project car, buy a later model in better condition. If you do get this one, carpet's at the 928 leather shop, and parts are at 928 international. As you go along fixing, you'll find problems, and work can be halted as you must order parts online. Don't let this discourage you though, find a later year and get it! 928's are beautiful, fun cars, and are absurdly cheap, so look around!

5

hell no....

45

That's what I thought. I want to get some Japanese Tuner now and customize it!

how much and how bad is the mold? I'm a mechanic. how bad is the motor does it turn over? like to rebuild motor.