what year should I buy?

Asked by Jun 11, 2009 at 08:41 AM about the Porsche 928

I want to buy a used porsche 928. Overall, (performance, maintenance, parts etc..) which model is the best overall (S2, S4, GT or GTS) and within each model class what year should I buy to achieve maximum satisfaction at minimum cost?  Also, is the GTS worth the extra  money to purchase?

Thanks, Doug

65

GTS is King of the Hill!! Good luck finding one in good shape only a few were made..and even fewer with a manual...GT are the next best thing and S+4 are the best bang per buck! Id stay away from S or older models. All are very expensive to maintain so you gotta luv em!!

65

I have owned all of them (bar GTS) and I'd recommend any S4. As all Porsches improve every year the last of the line is always the best. Buy the dearest one you can afford and get it checked by a reputable Porsche expert (pay!) Check every switch and control yourself, inc air! These can be expensive to run compared to a Camry, but what performance and style. They are hard to park. Subscribe to one of the Porsche magazines, they are full of the stuff you'll be keen to learn about

55

I'd say the GT is the best as it is lighter than the GTS and can be tuned to have just as much power with just an exhaust change and shark tune! Plus it doesn't have the airbag steering wheel. I own a 1991 and have maxmimum satisfaction...all for just £9000 from ebay!