what year should I buy?

Asked by Jun 11, 2009 at 08:41 AM about the Porsche 928

I want to buy a used porsche 928. Overall, (performance, maintenance, parts etc..) which model is the best overall (S2, S4, GT or GTS) and within each model class what year should I buy to achieve maximum satisfaction at minimum cost?  Also, is the GTS worth the extra  money to purchase?

Thanks, Doug

GTS is King of the Hill!! Good luck finding one in good shape only a few were made..and even fewer with a manual...GT are the next best thing and S+4 are the best bang per buck! Id stay away from S or older models. All are very expensive to maintain so you gotta luv em!!

I have owned all of them (bar GTS) and I'd recommend any S4. As all Porsches improve every year the last of the line is always the best. Buy the dearest one you can afford and get it checked by a reputable Porsche expert (pay!) Check every switch and control yourself, inc air! These can be expensive to run compared to a Camry, but what performance and style. They are hard to park. Subscribe to one of the Porsche magazines, they are full of the stuff you'll be keen to learn about

I'd say the GT is the best as it is lighter than the GTS and can be tuned to have just as much power with just an exhaust change and shark tune! Plus it doesn't have the airbag steering wheel. I own a 1991 and have maxmimum satisfaction...all for just £9000 from ebay!

I like the 1983 / 1984 4.7 twin dizzy model with euro spec , highest horsepower with the non interference motor , unlike the 32 valve motor that can only be fixed with a zippo if you snap THE 7ft cam belt , the single cam will just stall . This is the engine that had the big valve heads , big lift cams and high compression , it was only available for 84-85 and sorry but not in the USA where they got very low powered motors , too bad ☹️ , it also had the 4 speed auto , which in many view is the box of choice for the 928 , the manual box feels like a truck shift . This year also had the classic smaller tail lights and true shark front nose treatment , this model was known in the UK as the S2 , in Australia it’s known as the 928s . If you look at the specs and can get one in your country , this is the sleeper that people will say in the future , ah this was the true 928s we all missed . I’m happy people are paying 100K for the GTS , helps push the others up