why does my car feel like its pulln back whn im driving anthr words slipping and my thng in the front goes back amd forth like crazy Frm number two and three

Asked by Jul 13, 2012 at 07:47 AM about the 2002 Ford Taurus

Whn I drive for Abt 20 mins, it feels lime its pulln bck, like it doesnt wnna stay on 60 mile per hour and I see my I
gguess my odemeter or idol idk wht u call it bt I see it usually on two bt tht thng moves bck n forth Frm two n Lil
over 3 in half like crazy... Jus had tune up and oil change in march n had my transmission looked at n was told it
was still in gd shape. Plse help sngle mom of 4..

625

It would help if I could tell what you are asking. This isn't twitter, so please ask in full words rather than abbreviations. I'm not trying to be rude, I just really cannot understand the question. Are you saying the tachometer (rev-counter...dial with rpm on it) is moving back and forth from 2,000 rpm to 3,500 rpm while you are trying to maintain 60 mph? Are you using your cruise control while this is happening? Are any warning lights lit on the dash? Please fill in whatever details you can offer and I will check back...

Yes I drove it yesterday and figured it out, whn I go past 50 miles or past Numbr two then it starts to act like it doesnt wanna go. I took it to two different mechanics yesterday and both test drove my the speed limit of course and came back and said they dont know whats wrong with it. Smh... If I drive at 40 mph and dont let the other numbers go past two then its ok.i just want to know what its that is wrong and how much to fix it. I never use the cruise control and im guessing the sensors arent working cuz the only lights that come on is my low cooolant lite but when I take it to AutoZone they say its full. I hope I gave enough details this time...

625

I'm not sure what to tell you. If it feels like the car is losing power and the revs are jumping while you are staying at a constant speed, it sounds like the transmission may be slipping. Try doing the same thing but with the shifter in D instead of OD. It is possible you are losing overdrive. Did either mechanic check the codes in the car's computer? If not, go to AutoZone and ask them to check your codes (free) and list the codes here...

3,445

This sounds like a classic case of a clogged catalytic converter. This restricts the exhaust to the point the air can't flow through the engine above a certain rpm. (In this case 2000 which is what the 2 on the tachometer indicates.) As the problem worsens the rpm will drop with speed as well. Call your mechanic and ask if they considered this. Good Luck!

Best Answer

Thank u both very much... I will go to AutoZone Monday and have them put it on the machine... Will get back soon. Again thanks.

Sorry wrong page but I'm looking for answer too, just had transmission rebuilt on my 1998Taurus, im feeling the pulling back as I'm driving my car...what's my problem