installed a used engine in a 2006 chevy optra manual transmission and the engine light keeps coming on

Asked by Feb 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Optra

my engine light comes on, sometimes it flashing, sometimes it a solid light. the diagnostic reading says
misfire on 2 and 4 cylinder, but it not. all the connections are in place but the engine light has not stayed
off since the engine was replaced. It also seem like i am burning more fuel when the engine light comes
on. can you help please?

56,785

A flashing "check engine" light is telling you to stop driving the car because you're damaging your catalytic converter! Sounds like it's misfiring under load. Did you replace the plugs & wires (or boots) when you got the engine? This needs to be done if the used engine has over 100,000 miles on it. If so, could be a bad coil pack(s). Or coil overs, whichever your car has. I'd recommend doing a complete tune-up first. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
40

Replace the coil packs or pack and wired and plugs or boots it will fix it your cats will start glowing and stop up if u don't do it early and save them and fix your problem

i have changed the coil, plugs and wires, and the light still keeps coming on and flashing. what else can it be? does the computer need to be reprogrammed?

56,785

I'd check the wiring going to each fuel injector as well as the wiring for the spark plugs. Something may have gotten mixed up when you did the engine swap. If that checks out ok then you'll want to test those two fuel injectors. If the injectors are good run a compression test. If those two cylinders are low, there's the problem. I'm still leaning toward an ignition system problem though so check those items carefully. HTH. - Jim

30

Hi where did you find an engine for an Optra? Can you please help? In need of a Chevrolet Optra 2006 engine ASAP. Thanks

10

swap wires 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 that might solve it there is what is called a waist spark if you mix the wires the car will still run but missfire under load cause waist spark is week. cheers

10

p.s. that's if your compression is good

10

scratch that. swap the wires and check if the miss moves to the other cylinders if it does your coils are gone.