Engine Light on 07 chevy Optra

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 09:21 AM about the Chevrolet Optra

I just purchased a 2007 Chevy optra 5.. when I got it under the hood seemed to have oil everywhere... a few days later I went to increase speed on an expressway and my car started to shake. This morning the engine light came on and im not sure what to look for. It just had a safety done and I don't know what could be the problem. HELP!

23,225

ok- you see oil "everywhere" and you did not do anything about it- just went on about your business and even drove the car on the "expressway"- maybe I'm missing something here, but owning a motor vehicle and operating it on public roads carries a certain amount of responsibility- you have not met the minimum requirements- your task, now, is to have your oil-soaked Chevy towed to the nearest mechanic-

Do you know what it could be? And excuse my ignorance, obviously mechanics is not something I know well.

23,225

I do not know for sure, not being able to see under the hood, but it could be something as simple as the oil filler cap came off, and you lost a lot of your engine oil- look under your hood, check your oil level with the dipstick- if it is at an acceptable level, then you can drive the car to the mechanic instead of having it towed- there is no shame in not knowing how to work on cars, but that's why you should have a good mechanic- and everyone should be able to check their fluid levels- oh, and change a flat tire-

20

You have two problems. First, you lifter cover seal is shot, leaking oil onto your engine; secondly, oil has gotten into your spark plug area, causing a misfire. Pull the boot off, clean it up, and put it back together. My car did the same thing. Invest in a code reader, it's more than worth it in the long run.

15

I too had the same problem with my Optra 04. Shaking happens when the speed is 40 below and it also has a leak. We had the spark plugs replaced and then tighten some bolts (I think it's the one connected to the ATF or engine oil). The leaking and shaking both stopped.