My Jimmy makes a vibrating noise over 40 mph and a growl

Asked by Sep 19, 2010 at 06:35 PM about the 1988 GMC Jimmy

Hi, What could be causing this problem of vibration when it gets over 40 mph and growling as well? Can anyone help??? Thanks, tom

well, assuming it's not a clunk or tick, jsut a vibrating noise and rumble or growl I'd say either your tire or tires need to be balanced, or more likely it's a bad wheel bearing(s).

I would say a bad wheel bearing as well and even possibly low fluid in the rear end gears.

Yes it is most likely a wheel bearing. FYI I own a repair shop and you do not want to use a inexpensive bearing. Go to napa and get the good one. I promise if you do not use the good one, you will be replacing it again. It should take 1 hour to change and the bearing is about $250.00