Why won't my Jimmy reach speeds over 40 mph???

Asked by Dec 13, 2015 at 08:34 PM about the 2001 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLT SUV 4WD

Has a new mass air flow sensor, and another sensor was replaced that has
something to do with the distributor-  I want to think it is a vaccuum leak, but
not even sure where to start looking. It seems to shift fine, so I am no inclined
to think it is the transmission (or if it turns out to be not interested in repairing)

11,105

Are there any codes or is the check engine light on?

No- it was only showing a code for an O2 sensor, but that was repaired-- It did set for quite a while- several months over the Spring/Summer and part of Fall and I only purchased it last month- Was able to drive it a couple of days before this nonsense started. Now it is sitting waiting for me to see what the repair expenses might be or if it will be set on fire and rolled down a hill....

11,105

The vehicle may very well be locked into "limp mode". If the ECU detects a problem that may damage the transmission/engine, etc.. It will limit the rpm's to get you off the road without damaging components. It's possible that you may have a transmission problem or I find that some of these problems are related to the catalytic converter being clogged up.

Funny you mention the catalytic converter... That is exactly what I told my husband and his shade tree mechanic. I'm going to have them replace it and go from there... I was service manager at a garage for quite a while, but it's apparently hard for the real mechanics in my life to listen. May not be the fix... but I feel like it's getting closer. Thanks, Mark :)

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 1998 ENVOY.THE HONEYCOMB TYPE FILTER INSIDE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER HAD BROKEN LOOSE AND WAS RESTRICTING THE EXHAUST FLOW.IT WOULDN'T RUN OVER 50 MPH.MY OPD 11 CODE WAS SHOWING A PROBLEM WITH THE MASS AIR FLOW .I REPLACED THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM.