F100 300cid. Engine runs great until I put in drive.

20

Asked by Jun 25, 2015 at 03:22 PM about the 1982 Ford F-100

I have replaced OEM EGR valve, replaced fuel pump, replaced spark plugs, air filter.
Stopped 3 vacuum leaks all 3 in or around carb with rubber hose/tight screw in end method.
I crank truck...runs fine..the sputtering and missing stopped but everytime I put it in DRIVE smoke comes out the tail pipe and it stalls. IT will only start again after a Long turn of the starter with the pedal held to the floor for about 7-9 seconds. Please help.

19,180

Am I reading your question right the vacuum leaks you found you put a screw in the end of the hose. You need to found out were those hoses go to and connect correctly. To found out if you still have a vacuum leak spray some carb cleaner around the base and surrounding areas of carb if engine revs up you still have a vacuum leak.

96,995

When was the last time the carb was overhauled? Was the rigs rubber hoses upgraded to the multifuel hoses? Sounds like it is flooding out, could be crud in the needle and seat.

19,180

If no leaks found spray carb with carb cleaner directly into carb. I see you replaced fuel pump did you also replace fuel filter ? Add carb cleaner to gas tank.

Best Answer
20

thank you for your answers. honestly I've seen old shade tree mechs do the rubber screw thing back in the day and get away with it. Thought i might try. Yes it sounds and looks like is is flooding out with no air or something. I need this going. Any thing close to a quick fix for this? Even if it has to limp? I have 2 sons driving it only 5 miles to work until 3 days ago and I'm leaving the state as I have finally got my call to go back on my rig in the patch to work but funds are low until my first check....

20

man i will try it all..time and dough are limited..thank y'all for your advice

20

be back later with update..thanks so much!

6,685

I agree with all of the above. The carb is definitely flooding out for one reason or another. Without me actually being there and seeing what it's doing, I would have to say that it could be the needle and seat in the carb is all gummed up, especially if the vehicle has been sitting for a long time without being used. Today's gasoline is quite different from the 1970's and 80's and can turn to molasses in no time at all. If you feel brave enough, take the top of the carb off (should be just a few Phillips head or 1/4" hex head screws) and spray a whole can of Gumout carb cleaner into and all around the carburetor. Use the long red tube that comes with the spray can of cleaner and try to get down into all the orifices (holes) with it. Then blow it out with an air hose if you have one available or if not then just let it air dry for a half hour, then reassemble the carb and try it again. If it still dies in gear, then you'll probably need a complete rebuild of the carb or a rebuilt replacement. Also , you might want to check your timing. There's a slight chance that you might be able to advance the timing (loosening and turning the distributor) a little bit to keep it running with a load on it (in gear) to get by until you can get a rebuilt carb on it or get it into a good repair shop. If you try advancing the timing, it will be trial and error, only advancing just a little bit at a time. You'll need someone in the truck with their foot on the brake and the wheels chocked. Have that person start the truck, you turn the distributor while it's idling and they put it in gear. Try doing that about 3 different times moving it a little more each time. If that doesn't work then put the distributor back to where it was. (mark the spot where the distributor is initially first) A good timing light will help a lot. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

20

UPDATE: got my wife to keep engine running and used a whole can of carb cleaner. I could tell something was happening because it started to burn the cleaner better without choking out. When can was empty I took it around a few blocks and it never went dead coming up to or sitting at a stop sign. I'm thankful to you guys...and I'll keep turning a wrench on this F100 as i get $$ and time.

6,685

That's great. Glad I (we) could help keep your Ford on the road and out of the garage. Good luck with it. Please don't forget to mark our answers as "helpful" and/or "best answer" Kenny/MrBlueOval

5

i have an 82 f100 runs in idle like a champ replaced but when i put it in gear it stalls i have broken vacuum lines but i drove her home with the lines like they are also the truck has trouble starting im seeing if anyone may know something fyi carbs been rebuilt professionally last week and timing is done