'72 Ford F100 stalls accelerating, won't start after warmed up

5

Asked by Dec 30, 2015 at 04:20 AM about the 1972 Ford F-100

Truck starts up and idles fine. Then if shut off, won't start unless I let it sit for a bit. When it does run, it will often stall when accelerating from a stop, then it won't start back up again for awhile. Sometimes the fuel will stop flowing from the tank fuel line, and I'll have to put pressure on it to get it flowing again.It still won't consistently start after it flows again. Any ideas? Edelbrock carb, has spark from each plug.

16,810

Check air air filter replace fuel filter clean carburetor with spray carb cleaner use the whole can.

78,355

That sounds like a fuel pump failing, had the same thing happen on my old 77 Ford truck, make sure the fuel tank is venting properly, I have seen these get mud wasps filling the vent tube with mud for the fuel tank. HTH

Best Answer
5

I'll try those. Some guys were telling me it could be carb needing a rebuild since the flooding after warm is a sign of clogging. Thanks for the help guys

10

From 1970's to 2000's with a carbureto .....You people owe me because I'm a Ford Fool... The problem is the Carburetor Accelerator Pump Diaphragm.. That sucker pumps the gas on the carburetor.... The part cost $10.. wow send the check to (ericrossconsultant@gmail.com) http://images.apwcontent.com/is/image/Autos/rb90082_is? wid=250&hei=250&DefaultImage=noimage[/url]

5

Turns out the carb just needed to be cleaned out. The dude I bought it from obv hadn't cleaned it out in awhile. Blew out all the jets and cleaned it the best I could without Berryman. Runs great now.