1971 f100

Asked by Apr 04, 2016 at 07:30 PM about the 1971 Ford F-100

Runs then no fuel after a couple miles

My 1971 f100 360 starts runs great drives great but dies after a couple miles. No fuel and when you move the throttle no fuel still . . . I've gone through several things . I was told maybe the tube in the tank that the gas exits could be cracked or rusted/ holes. Thing is it ran the longest when the tank was completely full . . . Could this possibly the problem?

19,225

is there fuel to the carb bowl? is the fuel filter new???

I don't think there is if I pull the throttle and nothing comes out . . . The filters are new.

And when you put gas in the carb it fires right back up and runs for a block or two . . .

19,225

either a pluged line... a stuck carb float...or i would say the fuel pump...take the line of of the pump that runs to the carb,,,,,and turn over the motor

Pump has been replaced already. Carb float is not sticking either. I've been trying to fix this for a while I'm stuck at this point. Like I said last best answer was cracked or holes in the tube in the tank that comes to the carb . Is that possible?

It always fires up when cold and runs perfect for a couple miles. . .

19,225

pressure test the tank ...air thru the gas tanks filler neck with the line of the inlet side of the pump... more info in the begining would have been nice...

19,225

also is the float set TOOOO LOW?

If the float was set too low would it run good for mile or two?

77,915

Have you tried running it with the gas cap off?

Best Answer

Lol yep tired that, went a mile or so . . .

So does anyone think the tube in the tank could be causing this? ? ?

19,225

blow som compressed air thru it..like i said and find out...

I'm sorry I'm kinda confused as to what exactly u want me to do and look for as far as results. . . So would are the senerios if I blow air in the filler tube?

77,915

He wants you to blow air into the filler neck with the hose off the fuel pump and watch the fuel coming out, if it has a lot of air bubbles in it then the tube is rusted away. Just make sure you are grounded and there is no possible source of ignition anywhere, carbon dioxide would be safer than air.

Ok thank you I apreciate it I do understand now . So I'll need another person to do this then. . . .? And if there are bubbles that is the cause of the problem, that makes sense to u?

77,915

Yes two people will make it easier to do. I just remember another poster here sometime back and he found something in his fuel tank that would cover the pickup tube when it was running, so he would get about a mile or two and it would die, no fuel, wait few minutes it would start after a few cranks and would run another mile or two. So if the bubble thing checks good, then dropping the tank and inspect it for crud might be your next step. HTH

Sweet! Thank you very much I've pretty much come down to that being my last option. Either crud in the tank or rusted holes/crack in that tube. Just wanted a backup that that could be the problem. I'll try that and get back. It just runs so well for a mile or two then it doesn't get fuel. . . Thank u again I'll get back!

5

I had a similar issue where gas wasn't getting to the carb. Hell, not even to the fuel pump or the filter before it! Turns out the tank line had gotten clogged with the debris from bad gas over the years as well as particles off the inside of the tank. This problem only showed itself when I ran it near E. All the crud concentrated into the line. Used a pressure hose and blew into the tank with the gas cap off. Added some good ol' Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Additive on every fillup after that, and the issue hasn't returned.

Figured it out finally! There was a plastic bottle cap in the tank. It worked its way right under the tube, so it would suck up and clog the tube. Fished it ou and now it runs great!

77,915

A bottle cap? That had to be on purpose, stuff like that just doesn't wind up in a fuel tank. Glad you found it though.