1961 F-100 engine and trans swap

Asked by Jan 04, 2013 at 10:12 PM about the 1961 Ford F-100

Question type: Car Customization

have a 61 with a 223 and a 3 speed column shifter.  Want to do an engine swap to a 302 and keep the column shifter.  What transmission can I use?

2 Answers


you may be able to keep your present 3 speed using a lakewood engine to trans adapter,but all depends on how your going to use vehicle?for performance ,i doubt old tranny will hold up to 302,so look for late 60's early 70'smustang tranny.


I would use a Ford C-4 3 speed automatic or the Ford FMX behind the 302, which will bolt right up to the small-block ford motor. Both of those transmissions were very reliable and cheap to rebuild if neccessary. There are plenty of them still around too. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval.

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

Search Ford F-100 Questions

Ford F-100 Experts

#1 tennisshoes
Reputation 410
#2 FordNut
Reputation 300
#3 MrBlueOval
Reputation 250
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Chevrolet C/K 10
272 listings starting at $19,900
Used Ford F-250
514 listings starting at $3,500
Used Chevrolet Corvette
178 Great Deals out of 20,807 listings starting at $3,995

Used Cars For Sale