'79 Ranchero- Steering wheel

Asked by Jun 09, 2010 at 11:37 PM about the 1979 Ford Ranchero

Does anyone know how involved or what steps to take to replace the factory steering wheel with a smaller grant wheel? I bought the grant wheel and kit, but how to take off the factory wheel... Do i need a puller? etc?

85

puller recommended. not hard to pull at all. just gotta get the horn pad off. easy to remove tho

275

A puller is highly recomended, but if you dont have one, once you get the horn cover off there is a threaded stud and nut, remove the nut then wrap your arm around the steering wheel pulling towards you as evenly as you can take a BFH (big hammer) and hit nice and solid on the stud, the steering wheel should come of with out to much trouble, *note: you want to strike the stud as square as you can because if you hit it off center or too many times you run the risk of mushrooming the end of the stud and you wont be able to get the nut back on.

use a steering wheel puller,that way you will keep all ypur teeth,if you dont have one auto zone will loan you one,you may have to leave a $20 dollar deposit,but you will get it back once you return the tool.