Track width on '61 Ranchero

Asked by Feb 09, 2013 at 03:50 PM about the 1961 Ford Ranchero

I would like to swap out my front suspension for an after market Mustang II version that has a width of 60
inches, will this application work for me or is it too wide?

Go to the boneyard and start measuring. Be sure to bring a pad and pencil with you.

I'm thinkin' I'd have to spend a lot of time lookin' to find one in the boneyard. Maybe not. Perhaps a Ford dealer would have the answer. Thanks for the input.

6,595

I don't know where you got 60 inches for a width, maybe it's the overall width but you should be concerned with tread width. The Mustang II from 1974-78 actually has a front tread width of 56.6" The thread width measurements I come up with for the 61 Ranchero is for a '62 Ranchero which should be exactly the same 1961 thru 63. Thus, the '61 Ranchero should have 55" for the front and 54.5" for the rear. So you are only looking at one half to one inch total difference or a quarter inch to half inch on each side.. The Mustang II setup should work for you, depending on what width and height tires you use on the front with probably nothing wider than a 5 and a half or 6 inch rim will do. Sounds confusing but actually quite a simple swap. Hope this helps. Kenny/MrBlueOval. .

Best Answer

Mr. BlueOval, who offers the suspension shown in the picture you put in your answer?

6,595

That setup is from Heidts at (http://www.heidts.com/) The pic is of their Superide II front suspension setup. That's actually a setup for an early 65-66 Mustang but that setup should fit your Ranchero with minor modifications or they might even have a drop-in setupo for your Ranchero. Kenny/MrBlueOval