would a TPS (throttle position sensor) cause the rpms to run up without power going to the wheels when attemting to accel at about any speed that places u in drive or o/d ? I'm at a standstill...

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 11:59 PM about the 1987 Dodge Raider

Replaced plugs wires cap rotor and tranny pan gasket and filter to no avail...still needs an
exhaust....but I wanna fix THIS problem before possibly wasting any more
money....please help !! Thanks....it is an auto trans. With the 2.6 L

19,505

the rpm don't go up while in gear without the wheels turning faster unless the trans is slipping

330

Mee not understanding question!

223,485

What jimmy is saying is that the trans could be slipping. Since you already replaced the trans gasket and filter, how is the fluid, is it full? You might have more going on, like a faulty torque convertor or burned bands. Not sure what else you have going on under the hood as you say you also have an exhaust leak, so what else could be wrong? We don't know. So you looking at maybe replacing or rebuilding the trans. BTW: If I can't figure out a problem, I like to get a second set of eyes on it, like my local mechanic who can diagnose exactly my issue. Sometimes it pays in money and time.

330

Well if he's saying "trans could be slipping he is answering his own question! Lol