Opel Corsa 1.4 Utility, Engine low revs and cuts out when driving slowley

Asked by Jan 07, 2016 at 08:09 AM about the 1999 Opel Corsa

I'm  having problems with my Opel Corsa 1.4 Utility having intermittent engine running problems-(especially when outside temperature is high). When car starts and warms up and I drive away and the engine starts hunting and drops to low revs when car slows down(mainly when slowing down in traffic, stop streets or red robots. In many instances the engine cuts out and will not start for a while. Sent the vehicle to Opel agents, they connected to diagnostics but all showed ok,even whilst the car wouldn't start. When driving at higher speeds 80 to 100km the vehicle runs ok in most instances but has recently occasionally started spluttering and appears as if the  the car is running on 3-cylinders & then comes right and runs normal-(which is quite hair-raising especially when over taking an another vehicle).

Marcus Pather

I would say it the crank gear. There is a keyway on the crank shafts the wears out which causes the gear to shift out of place. It would run fine at high speeds and gears but should be retarded on take off and slow speeds.

Hi Marcus, Thanks for yr suggestion. I eventually found when the engine got to operating temperature it started to idle badly. After checking spark we found 2-leads not having spark but when the engine was switched off & left to cool down, the spark returned to those leads. We replaced the coil & solved that problem, however the issue with the engine hunting continues when slowing down-when the brake is applied on hot days only. I have been advised that the brake booster vucuum seal may be faulty b/cause when the outside temp is hot the engine runs leaner but if there is a leak in the booster seal it draws more putting more strain on the engine to operate thus in a sense starving the engine. When I have come to a halt the revs pick up to normal until the next time I apply the brakes. On cool days it does not display those symptoms. So I suppose I'll change the seal & see what transpires.

I also having a problem with my Opel corsa utility 1.4 2006 model At first we found out the crank shaft has warn out n I changed the crank but now it will startvto show the engine lite while iam driving and cuts out and at some point it just stops We tried to check if there was fault in the engine and we found nothing it now started some weird idling while iam driving like I put my refs to the last point What can be the problem there