tail lights wired into blinkers

Asked by Apr 09, 2015 at 12:38 PM about the 1974 Ford Maverick

the brake lights and running lights
work but the  blinkers won't  in my 74
Ford maverick

44,425

Oh you're in for a treat! You'll have to do what I did with my old '85 Scottsdale. Buy a needle test light. Turn on the blinker. Make sure you hear the click, click noise under the dash. If you don't all you may need is a new blinker relay. If you do hear the clicking, take your needle and start probing the wires under the hood. The light should blink on your tester when you've found the right wire. Then just start tracing the wires. You'll probably find a broken wire or bad grounds. Or you may have to rewire half of the vehicle like I had to. Good luck!

75,765

I'd try to find a good used under dash wiring harness and just replace the whole kit and kaboodle! Electrical problems such as this can be a real nightmare! If you can't do that get a factory shop manual for your car. Try eBay or Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, California. They have a website. The factory shop manual will have detailed wiring diagrams and pictures of where things (are supposed to) go. That way you can see what's been hacked and how so you can fix it. I once had to do the same on the power windows of a '66 Cadillac that I owned. Someone had spliced the cigarette lighter into the window circuit to get them to work. With the correct wiring diagrams from the shop manual I was able to find it and fix it correctly. HTH. -Jim