CARB MESS

10

Asked by Aug 28, 2016 at 07:19 PM about the 1979 Toyota Pickup

My truck dies when lowering the idle rpms below 1500. I mess around with
what I believe is the mix idle screw on the carburetor to try to lower the rpms,
but when I try and calm the car down to 1000 rpms (what should be normal)
the car stumbles and dies every time. Whats wrong with my car?

10

I happened to have messed around with the fuel pump prior to this problem. I turned on the engine right after disconnecting the fuel pump from fuel tank. The pump might of have only sucked air and blew that air through the carburetor system and messed something up.

5,895

'79...would start with a Fresh Battery, New cables (if any corrosion is present)...did you check the spark when the vehicle dies? thinking that it may not be the carburetor at fault...but the ignition starved of proper ground~...check the spark~ renew the grounds~...the ignition needs proper grounding~ did you measure fuel pressure....should be greater then 15psi~

10

well, I'm blaming the carburetor because this problem happened right after I messed around with the fuel pump and carburetor. The truck wouldn't idle at all after I did that fuel pump messing around thing. I managed to idle the truck again by moving the carb screws but it would only idle at high rpms. But I might give it a try to what you say.

5,895

assure the fuel pressure is enough...perhaps the fuel filter never got changed they are cheap...get a new one...couldn't hurt~ source is rockauto (because they rule)~ http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1979,pickup,2.2l+l4,1 277119,fuel/air,fuel+filter,6200? a=Referer+www.info.com+URL+%2Fen%2Fpartsearch%2F