carburetor mess

10

Asked by Aug 26, 2016 at 05:40 PM about the 1979 Toyota Pickup

I disconnected the gas pump from the gas filter and started the engine. Then I
reconnected both and the car does crank up, but it
totally dies if I let go of the gas pedal. I use a carburetor system. What's wrong
with my car? Did the gas pump pump too much air into the carburetor and now
it broke?

25,595

first change the fuel filter..cheap and easy to do...report back here.

10

fuel filter seems fine; I disconnected the fuel pump from carburetor and once I turn the key on pump makes pumping noise and a lot of gas comes out. The fuel filter is located just before the gas pump. gas filter-->gas pump-->carburetor

12,445

On vintage vehicles '79 a carburetor should be gone through every 5-6 years depending on how much you drive it.. just allowing the needle and seat position to change disrupted its functionality... 37 years not bad for a carburetor.

Best Answer