Engine stalled , need help please.

Asked by Aug 31, 2013 at 09:27 PM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

Hi I have a 1978 Datsun 280z automatic. I bought a car few month ago. It only has 75000
original miles.( it's been sitting covered in a garage since 1991) the previous owner
bought it from original owner .bought it to the shop rebuilt radiator and fuel injection rail. I
drove it 55 miles back home no problem. It's my 2nd car,so I ugly drive it on the
weekend. Here the problem, a few day ago the engine stalled when it was running. I had
to turn around and went back home slowly. The wired thing is the engine started every
time and rev 3000 rpm as long as I wanted no problem when the car was on neutral. As
soon as I  pulled the gear to D and drove , the engine stalled again. I tried this like 3
times on different days. It had the same problem. I just want to know what was wrong
with it before I call AAA to tow it to the shop.  Thank you

It can be your transmission shift solenoid or a faulty torque converter in the transmission, it is locking up at idle instead of at highway speeds, putting drag on your motor. If it's just a low idle issue, your car needs a tuneup and some fresh gas.

Thank you for the answer Tom. I will tow it to the transmission shop next week. Hopefully the transmission only need a tune up.

yes. well all of a sudden after a period of storage am going to guess that the EGR is fouled up...1978 does NOT have an OBD-II diagnostic plug but a series of tedious flashes that you've got to decode for self-diagnostics~

the gaz tank probebly still had some diert in it or even the ruber gaz hose is cracking up on the Inside of the hose and it floatsa in the then it blocks one or more injecters unplug the electric plug to one injecter at atime and maybe ytou will see a difference from one to the other if so clean again injecters because they gfot contaminated again.