Fuel pump??

Asked by Feb 28, 2017 at 01:51 PM about the 1983 Nissan 280ZX

I have a 83 Datsun 280zx. When I am driving at any
speed randomly I lose acceleration and have to pull
over. When I try to go again a poping noise comes
from what sounds like beneath me. I changed the
fuel filter and oil. But I'm not very good with cars.
Any help would be great

I don't know what is wrong with your car but I will tell you about my 1983 280ZX turbo I used to own. The fuel pressure regulator was causing too high fuel pressure which would cause the check valve at the fuel pump to stick closed and when the car needed fuel the check valve could not open and the car would die. This happened at low speeds or when the car was idling. The fix was a new fuel pressure regulator. I cannot say if this is your problem but maybe this can help.

I found the problem by removing the fuel pump and inspecting the check valve which was stuck closed.

Once I replaced the pressure regulator the car ran way too lean and it had to be adjusted to run at the proper fuel/air ratio.