1996 RL Stuck Valve Problem

Asked by Apr 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM about the 1996 Acura RL

Engine  runs very rough like a plug miss-firing.  Dealer said it was a stuck cylinder
valve.  Ran compression test, hear pop, ran ok for a week.  Now same problem.  
Has low power, running like only 4 plugs firing.  Paid the dealer $350 for nothing.  
Car only has 60K miles, like new.  Is it really a valve.  Had similar symptoms 5 years
ago, and they replaced one spark plug.  That fixed it.  Any thoughts????

135

It sounds like if the plug replacement fixed it the last time it may be worth exploring that same process. If the last repair was completed by the same dealer then I would mention that to them, if not then it may be worth either going back to the other repair shop or perhaps looking at a recommended shop in your area for a second opinion. Could it be the same plug, and if so maybe there is something wrong with that particular plug site. Whatever it is, it is worth getting several opinions and finding a really good master mechanic preferrably a Honda specialist.

35

um dumb q but did you check for a vacuum leak? Got any codes?

Yep. The dealer checked the vacuum lines. Checked OK. Thanks for your input. Since the car is like new I really don't want to get rid of it, but since the Blue Book price is only about $5K, I also don't want to dump a lot of money in at this point. I'm the original owner of the car. My son shot the codes on his computer and it indicates compression. Same as the dealer's codes. So, I may take it to a Honda dealer instead of back to the only Acura dealer in the area. The problem seems to be the No. 1 cylinder. Tried additives in gas and oil to see if something breaks loose, but no luck so far.

could be as simple as carbon build up on a valve,or in spark plug,could also be a bad wire ,coil.