what makes my 1987 chevy sprint act like it has no gas on a full tank

Asked by Jan 10, 2016 at 04:07 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint

when driving my 1987 chevy sprint will go fine for a bit then it will bog down
with no power like it is out of gas. I pull over and wait then try again it will go
again . I never know when it will do this and i am put in the middle of traffic
and such.. can you help me find and fix the problem

38,005

Start by replacing the fuel filter. If the problem persists, then have the fuel pressure checked to see if fuel pump is good.

Sounds like filter, or, number of things really. When you say "pull over and wait then try again..." do you turn your car off, or pull over and let it idle? If it is your fuel filter, you may want to be sure your tank is clean, it could be junk in the tank, clogging your pump. The pump itself is in the tank making it a pain in the tush to get to. Is it EFI, carb? Injector might be clogging.

thx for your response. I changed all filters, replaced the fuel pump and to answer if I pull over and let it idle I wish I had that option. The car simply dies no power at all . The car starts to choke and I have seconds to find a place to pull over or I get stuck right there, sometimes in the middle of angry traffic.

38,005

When is the last time it was tuned up? May be in cap & rotor, plugs & wires. Also check for vacuum leaks, TBI base gasket, intake manifold snugged up. Run fuel injection cleaner threw, maybe find a place to have the injectors cleaned.

38,005

And check the fuel pressure.

did the tune up first thing, I will go back and check the vacuum hoses and such. thanks for the suggestions i will try all to make sure

38,005

Your on it! Process of elimination, Thanks for the up-date.