Why is my alarm going off and door ajar on display?

Asked by Sep 02, 2012 at 10:53 PM about the 2004 Acura TL

My alarm will sound for no apparent reason on my 2004 Acura TL. The cluster says that the rear right door is open
when it is closed. It has happened twice while it was raining outside. Any advice, troubleshooting or help is greatly

The sensor is located in the door latch area, spray it down with some WD-40. Sometimes they get dirty losing the electrical contact.

Will try that, Tom. Thank you.

Well, I replaced the door sensor and all was great for a few days until it rained here in Richmond, VA today. What I do not understand is if the alarm is too sensitive to rain, then why would it make my door read as being open in the cluster and make my dome light come on? Somebody please help........

Stephanie Welch

I don't know the answer, but my car has the exact same issues, except I found when I set the alarm off with the key fab, and let it honk, I instantly hit the unlock button once and it deactivated the alarm and it would stay quiet for the rest of the day, even in the rain...however, the LAST time I did that, I left for a week and had my parents watch the car, and it lasted for a week and the alarm went off that Friday morning (couple weeks ago) and before they could turn it off, it turned itself off. I had my parents leave it unlocked all day and two days later I came home to find the battery dead and the back left window had rolled itself down sometime and water soaked in the vehicle. Put it on charger, and half an hour later, the window had put itself back down without any key in the ignition or any contact with anything. Just by itself. It's been drying in the garage and still haven't figured out the solution.

James Alderman

Stephanie this is exactly what has happened to my car! did you find a solution?

Stephanie Welch

Yes!! My windshield had been replaced and it wasn't a tight seal. When I replaced it again, the person taking the windshield out basically took three fingers and pushed the left side out. The only thing holding it on was the wind and the decorative trim (to put it short). I also found out that when it rained, I parked at an angle (nose down) forcing all the water from the windshield down to the front of my car where my driver floorboard would be wet. The water would run down through the partially-sealed windshield and down inside my car THROUGH THE ELECTRICAL FUSE BOX on the side panel by my feet and it shorted fuses (hence the back right door sensor having issues). I had also had other issues with fuses (my door was open when I was unbuckled, but when I buckled, the alert popped up that I wasn't buckled. A lot of ELECTRICAL issues. I hope this answer helps and that this is your issue as well. We had taken a volt meter to the door sensor and the sensor was in fact just fine. CHECK THE WINDSHIELD!! If you have a chip (which I had finally accumulated more than two), it's worth a full nights sleep and a worry free car. Haven't had issues since and it's rained enough to know it fixed it!!