Why won't my turn signal and brake lights on the rear of the truck work

30

Asked by Apr 30, 2015 at 12:47 AM about the 1986 GMC Sierra

rear turn signals and brake lights don't work.  no power in yellow wire all the way to the firewall.  everything under dash works right, looks right, indicator lights work and front lights work fine.

61,325

Sounds like the turn signal switch in the steering column. Power for the brake lights flows through the turn signal switch to the rear of the truck. Since the indicators and front turn signals are working the fuse and flasher is good. Do the rears flash with the hazards on? HTH. -Jim

30

No they don't.

61,325

Check for power at the light sockets. Both wires are hot (+). One is for the tail lights and the other is for the brake and turn signal. The outer "shell" of the socket is ground. If you have no power there check for power at the turn signal switch. If you have power going to the turn signal switch but none coming out of the turn signal switch. The switch is bad. HTH. -Jim

30

Thank you so much! It was broken wires in the steering column. Purchased the new parts today, installed them and we have lights. Appreciate the help. My lighting diagrams never showed the wires for the brakes coming up thru the steering column so I never thought of looking there.

61,325

Awesome!! You're welcome, glad to help. Glad you found and fixed it! Thanks for letting us know. -Jim

60

I have a similar problem with my 85 Sierra. My front passenger side and rears don't work. Changed flasher brake switch still nothing. checked current through to rear . I'm getting power to socket but it doesn't blink when turn signals are on. bulbs have been checked and are good. Although when I turn the headlights on the signals cancels out and stays just stationary on the dash . Any suggestions would be appreciated.