my 87 350 camino runs good but it will not slip a rear wheel.

Asked by Aug 17, 2013 at 08:49 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet El Camino

I suspect tthat the engine is not reving up fast enough. I have had it tuned by pro shop mech. it has a 350 trans also. the rear end has been changed and the speedometer shows 15 mph slower than actual speed

As far as your inconsistency in speed, I'd stick to the size indicated on the door jamb...any other thing would just be plumb far as not revving fast enough am going to suggest that a vacuum line to or the fuel pressure regulator is faulty or missing it's diaphragm and unable to provide fuel regulation and creating a vacuum leak that causes high idle and poor performance~ you can service your regulator with a fresh diaphragm~

most 87,s were dogs without tweaking it yourself, you want a tire burner from compression start so your not outrun by four banger rice burners ,I know what your talking about! one thing you say the error on the mph says , correct me if im wrong, says you upped your ratio to airplane gears so that would kill any launch, but may increase mile per gallon, counter by smaller wheels , like 14 inch 60,s ,or go with a 410 rear, cam , carb, headers, the engine, or drop in a 396 and be done in a day

Best Answer Mark helpful

thanks this is very helpful and spot on

I changed my transmission from a factory 5 speed to a lower first/second gear w/OD 5 speed. Just stepping on the gas in low gear, my rear 295 (L) 50 X 15 BFG break lose. Of course I'm putting out over 450 HP with a 350 stroker and dual 500 cfm quads and high compression fast flow heads, headers, flowmaster mufflers, and a hot cam. Dump the smog stuff, cam it, put headers on, bigger carb, good electric ignition, low rea rend, .411 or .410s, good transmission, and hang on. Better yet, get rid of the slushbox and go with clutch and gears. You will need the speed to get away from the bank you rob to pay for tires and gas then.