fuel tank is creating high pressure and fuel linking out of neck

20

Asked by Jul 05, 2014 at 08:47 PM about the 1968 Chevrolet El Camino

108,845

Have you tried a vented cap?

65,075

Dandy is correct. Your El Camino uses a vented gas cap. HTH. -Jim

20

Yes I had one on but it still built up too much pressure. It actually blew a hole in tank. Do you know what I need to convert to a vented tank since I now have to replace it?

65,075

WOW!! That's a lot of pressure! GMs from that period had a return line going back to the gas tank. This was to prevent vapor lock. Are you sure the supply and return lines are hooked up correctly and clear? Beginning 1971 (1970 in California) new vehicles were required to be equipped with an evaporative loss control emission control system. This was so the gasoline fumes would be routed back to the engine and burned instead of vented to the atmosphere. This system is still required today but is simply known as EVAP. Anyhow, check to see if a '71 gas tank will fit. It will have the provision for the EVAP system and since your El Camino is a '68 model you can most likely use that as a vent. HTH. -Jim

375

As others have stated purchase a vented gas cap .. Also if you live in a warm weather area ( do not fill the tank all the way ) and try not to park it in direct sunlight ...