fuel filter will not come off , tried penetrating oil, and it still won't budge, any ideas would be helpfull

Asked by Mar 28, 2007 at 10:06 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet Lumina

car starts good, it's missing, even though the spark plugs have been changed, it stalls after running a few minutes. I am in the process of Changing the fuel filter,but  I can't seem to get it to budge. I have tried penetrating oil, I let it sit for a few minutes the first time, a few hours the second time, and overnight the third time. It still won't budge.I had the gas tank replaced one year ago with a brand new one, thought they would have changed the fuel filter at the same time, but after checking it out myself, it's obvious by the  look of it that it has not been changed. as there was no winter driving done in this car since that repair, it shouldn't look that bad.. Do you have any suggestions on how to get this off, is there a special tool for it. And if this doesnt' solve the problem, what else could it be.

8,045

Sounds like the bolts have rusted in place and are not budging. Maybe try eating away at the rusty bolts (with a strong rust remover) instead of just lubricating them. Be careful when doing this. Also, here is a site on how to change your fuel filter: http://www.carspace.com/guides/How-to-Replace-Your-Car-or-Trucks-Fuel-Filter