Anyone know how to take the inner door panel off a 2005 Forester without breaking anything?

Asked by Mar 14, 2016 at 02:00 AM about the 2005 Subaru Forester X

The window seems to have slipped off the track or a gear has broken as the motor runs in both directions but the window doesn't move. I can manually pull it up or push it down but it will not move with the motor. I found a screw under a plastic cover behind the door handle but nothing came loose when I removed it. I tried prying around the edges but either it was too cold and the clips were too stiff when I tried or there is some other mechanism holding the panel on. Thanks in advance.

4,550

Warm up the interior so you can "pop" the panel forward. Mind the large screw inside the pull handle, as well the black triangular top front piece. You'll eventually get it off, and see that the regulator armature has loosened off its screw/nut anchors and then BENT into a mess. You MAY be able to rebend it back to proper geometry and resure it TIGHTLY, but sometimes buying a new regulator is easier, as they're cheap (without the motor) or complete from a salvage yard. Be careful to not cut your hands, as inner panel edges and those regulator arms are sharp!

6,505

Yeah, that screw only holds the actual door release in place. Then there is a big screw in the switches cubby (to pull the door shut), aiming down iirc, that bolts to a big bracket. You might also gently pull up on the switches and disconnect them (or you can shimmy them through the opening after you completely remove the panel). You should also go ahead and gently remove the door release handle. It has a tooth/clip that slides into place.. kind of pull towards you with the left side of the handle and slide towards the rear of the door, there is a big clip on the forward end and slides into a groove. Then undo the cables from the backside. Then try to find a spot that you can get your fingers into the panel, usually around the bottom, and pull from the panel away from the door and start working your way around the door. Once you have the panel free, lift upwards out of the window channel. If you have a tweeter speaker by the mirror, you'll either have to remove the surround or be really careful (and it has a sharp molding on it that I cut myself on one time). I've replaced a motor but I've never messed with the window regulator. The regulator bolts to the glass with a round bolt. You can watch this video (he means toughness on regulator - not motor) about the regulator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyhalKsKBP4

Best Answer
6,505

lol you beat me by 5 seconds ;P

4,550

Too funny!