ABS and TC lights won't go out on 2006 VUE 3.5 engine

20

Asked by Feb 07, 2016 at 01:49 PM about the 2006 Saturn VUE Base V6

Neither braking nor traction appear to be effected. What may be the problem and simple fixes?

935

Are you sure it is a 2006? First thing to do is go to an Auto Parts store and ask to borrow their code reader. Hook that up and find out what is not working?

20

Yes, Definitely a 2006 VUE 6 cyl. I've had it since 2007. Thank you.

935

Alright, yea scan it first, and see what the code reader tells you, it could be a wheel sensor that is out etc. Basically you should be fine to drive it, except ABS and traction control will be disabled until you repair what is broken. Traction control is helpful for getting going in the winter/offroad, ABS allows you to steer the vehicle while applying brake force especially while slipping. If you have AWD you shouldn't have any issues because the AWD system in your vehicle is purely mechanical.

20

It is a front wheel drive and I live in Florida so winter is not a problem. .I drove before there were either ABS or Traction Control. and the braking procedure was to pump the brakes , not jam them on which will create lock-up and loss of control. I have since learned it may also be the control wire from the unit to the wheel hub where the monitor is and is less complicated and expensive to replace. Thanks again.

935

Yes, I have a 2008 and mine was the wire near the hub. The fix takes only a few hours, don't know about the 2006, but being only FWD if it is a rear one should be easy. Yet I had 2 codes, and 3 but the codes had to do with LR wheel sensor, low voltage and steering angle sensor malfunction. I believe the LR wheel sensor is fixed now and the low voltage due to the wire issue, but recently I had the lights pop one again and I have to go do another code scan but I'm guessing it is due to the steering sensor. Only went out when I really pushed the car on a winter day and reset at shutdown, so if it is the steering sensor I will be letting it slide till it becomes a regular occurance. Scanning is free and only takes a few min. so might as well do that and then determine if a fix is necessary. Yet like you said you probably don't need either down in Florida, just nice not to have the lights on your dash though and helps when you go to sell.

935

I'll add if you had stability assist as I do then you would want to get them fixed, because that adds some benefits while driving in the rain. Best of luck to ya!

20

Brake fluid fixed it for me

20

i rode around for a year with the lights on. Brakes never seemed to be affected. Put fluid in lights turned off.