What's wrong with my Saab?

30

Asked by May 12, 2014 at 08:13 AM about the 1995 Saab 900 2 Dr SE Turbo Convertible

I put a new battery into my manual Saab 900
SE turbo and now it doesn't want to switch
gears while on. When off it switches fluidly like
normal.
I can only get it up to the second gear and
when I come to a stop it dies.
What can that be? The clutch was replaced in
the last two years.

22,725

not sure what your immediate problem is- but I am always amazed that people think old Saabs are cool- SOME people- I have seen under the skin of those cars and wonder, "who thought it was a good idea to design that!?" shouldn't a person be wary when the claim is made "the most intelligent car ever built"- get rid of that thing and get something more rational- ANYthing-

30

That was as rude as it was unhelpful. There is no reason to insult my car. Up unti this it has been wonderful and given me less issues than my 1995 Honda Civic and Ford escort combined. I adore the car for a multitude of reasons not just because it is an older Saab. I am not looking to sell it right now, but too fix the current issue. Thank you for a quick response even if it was unnecessary. If you know anything about manuals or maintaining them that would be lovely.

22,725

Sorry for being abrupt, Heather- but I was not insulting you, or your car, only Saabs in general- I know about automobiles and I know about love- love is irrational, (oh don't I know) but love for a car is simply misplaced- I know better than to disparage people's cars, but I knowingly make exceptions for Vanagons, Audis, and Saabs- I think the owners of these cars should know the truth about the way they are over-engineered- (therefore costly to repair)- and as a contributor to this site, I take saving money for the questioners seriously- if you don't like the message, please understand that I thought you might as well hear it from SOMEBODY- if you keep that car, there will be many questions in the future, and few people will know the answers due to the bizarre engineering quirks of the cars- we all know they started out weird, with their 2-stroke engines and quirky styling- they gained a following, and that's cool- but the later Saabs grew strange with a vengeance for no discernable reason- and they tried to cover it up with a disingenuous appeal- "the most intelligent cars ever built"- they dropped that, now, and for good reason-

30

So you know I did figure out the issue. A clutch cable came loose. I do know how quirky the car can be. I take care maintenance very seriously and had done a lot o research before I had bought it. I have a wonderful foreign car mechanic who is reasonably priced. I do get what your post was saying; I just felt frustrated and insulted when I received your earlier reply. Hopefully I am not flooding this forum with questions. :)

215

I love Saabs! They can be quite quirky at times. But driving and servicing them has been rewarding. There is something very different about Saab and Saab owners. If you like a Saab, you must have one.