Why won't it start anymore?

Asked by Jan 05, 2015 at 07:41 PM about the 1996 Saab 9000 4 Dr CSE Turbo Hatchback

For about a month before the car had
stopped working, it was blowing
white smoke out of the exhaust. It
was a thick white. It would happen
when I started it and sometimes
randomly if I say idle. Now it's been
sitting the last 3 months and I
haven't seen a mechanic or anything.
I'm curious if anyone might have any
ideas why it is doing this.

Sounds like you might have blown a head gasket. Very common. Have you recently smelled anti- freeze after turning the car off.The best way to check is to pull the dipstick and see if the oil level is overly high or if there are bubbles in the oil or worse case if the oil on the dipstick looks milky.If so it is probably a blown or at least cracked head gasket.Pretty expensive repair engine has to be pulled and head probably has to be machined before you replace gaskets.

A couple of people I have talked to also gave the possibility of it being a faulty turbo, or something wrong with the pcv valve or something. Since my car is a saab, do you think it will be harder to find a mechanic and more expensive or what?